Forum
Last updated: 

What will happen if a foreigner borrows money from unlicensed money lenders?

I have a friend who used to borrow money from unlicensed money lenders. I just found out about this new law and I'm not sure if my friend is aware. I want to warn him before he makes another transaction. What are the sanctions or penalties if he was found borrowing money from unlicensed money lenders?

User comments

• user image

No Name

If that is the case, you must inform your friend and warm him/her immediately because when a work pass holder is found to have borrowed from an unlicensed lender, the MOM will inform the employer and revoke the work pass. The worker will be repatriated and prohibited from further employment in Singapore.

2020.03.24 15:44

Please leave your knowledge and opinion!

Related Forums

What are Stocks?

Which University Majors in Singapore has the highest return on Investments?

What are the different types of stock?

I'm investing on a farm abroad by using my credit card.I got scammed

What is the best unlimited mobile data plan in Singapore?

How much can foreigners borrow under the amendments to the Moneylenders Act?

Related Reviews

This card gives me $80 cash rebates every month.

I fancy the OCBC 365 credit because it has cash rebate of $80, but only after you full fill their criteria. They require a minimum spending of $800 per month which in turn earns interest from different spending. This card suits me just fine being that I have broad spending habit and in the process it gives me $80 cash rebates every month. My only dislike is the rebate on the general spending which is 0.3%.

OCBC 365 Credit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

Protection of up to 90 days for online purchases

The delivered on the promise of purchase Protection of up to 90 days when ensured reimbursement on an eligible online purchases I made with my Amex Express Gold Card. Irrespective where you buy online or shopping at the local supermarket, their Purchase Protection offers repair, replacement or reimbursement on eligible purchases made with the Card, that has been damaged or stolen within 90 days of purchase.

American Express Gold Card / American Express International

40,000 Membership Rewards points to refer a friends to the card

I like the idea that I can receive 40,000 Membership Rewards points when I get to successfully refer any of my friends to the card. Even more so as my friends can also receive 40,000 Membership Rewards points upon spend of S$5,000 in the first 3 months of their Card Membership. I think that is pretty much a win-win situation.

American Express Platinum Card / American Express International

Family Package Rewards

My family had a really fun time with the 10% off Siam Adventure Club Family Package Booking which came with breakfast for 2 adults and up to 2 kids with a Kids room setup in room and full access to kids activities. We even enjoyed daily evening drinks for whole family on selected menu from 5pm to 6pm.

HSBC VISA Platinum Credit Card / HSBC Bank Singapore

Zero Travel Related Online Merchants

The Citi SMRT card is a pretty decent card for spending but they unfortunately exclude travel related online merchants. This to me is the downside of the card and may be a reason to get another card for travel websites.

Citi Prestige Card / Citibank Singapore

Ease of use to accumulate on miles

The American Express Krisflyer Credit Card has an attractive sign up bonus and it is easy to use to accumulate on miles as no conversion into KF account is required, and monthly auto “sweeping” of miles help save in the conversion fee. I also have had good experiences with their customer care service as the call center service is absolutely awesome.

American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card / American Express International