Forum
Last updated: 

Are debit cards of less importance than credit cards?

I own two debit cards and no credit cards at the moment and saw a UOB promotion giving 5 miles per $1 for a debit card spending. Why would banks do that? Is it wise for me to just get a debit card?

User comments

• user image

No Name

For most banks, there are other terms and condition such as minimum saving amount with their bank etc. I suppose they are encouraging you to save and spend your money through them. For debit card, the amount is deducted straight from your bank account whereas for credit card, there is a credit limit. In case of fraud, lesser amount of money is subjected to risk. In both situations, you can get back your money but it would be more troublesome for debit card due to the amount involved and your money is also gone from your bank. Credit card is good for building your credit history and credit score provided you pay your bills on time. It’s good especially if you plan on taking loans (house loan or car loan) in future.

2019.08.01 6:51

Please leave your knowledge and opinion!

Recommending Forums

Investment

Why are overseas magnetic stripe transactions given the option to be enabled or disabled?

UOB Debit Card

Related Forums

Investment

What is Singapore's main landline provider?

Investment

What skills should I have to be a good investor?

Investment

WHat is the best way to invest my money on?

Investment

What are thee companies that offer monthly investment plans and who are the individuals who should get these plans?

Investment

How do U apply for a telephone line in Singapore?

Investment

Should I invest on properties in Singapore?

Related Reviews

Investment

Poor and upleasant hotline

I am a fresh graduate and just started my first job, I signed up for this card due to the onetime $150 cash back reward for $800 spend within the first two months. However for its main monthly rewards, it is nothing to be pleasant about and the hotline is very bad, I even had to hold more than 20 minutes during non-peak hour.

HSBC Revolution Credit Card / HSBC Bank Singapore

Investment

Customer care service at top notch

This is my first credit card and I was pleased with the process as the application was absolutely stress free and smooth with customer care service at top notch. I actually felt taken care of and it appeared I could rely on customer care service for virtually any issue. Plus they have a simple tracking system of cashback rewards, with a good App and web UI/UX.

American Express True Cashback Card / American Express International

Investment

40,000 Membership Rewards points to refer a friends to the card

I like the idea that I can receive 40,000 Membership Rewards points when I get to successfully refer any of my friends to the card. Even more so as my friends can also receive 40,000 Membership Rewards points upon spend of S$5,000 in the first 3 months of their Card Membership. I think that is pretty much a win-win situation.

American Express Platinum Card / American Express International

Investment

Ease of use to accumulate on miles

The American Express Krisflyer Credit Card has an attractive sign up bonus and it is easy to use to accumulate on miles as no conversion into KF account is required, and monthly auto “sweeping” of miles help save in the conversion fee. I also have had good experiences with their customer care service as the call center service is absolutely awesome.

American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card / American Express International

Investment

Complimentary Night Stay a Success

Very impressed by the complimentary night stay I got after I made bookings for a five nights stay at a resort I spent my birthday at in Malaysia. Even more pleasing was the complimentary golf games at a high quality golf courses in Malaysia. As a matter of fact, I had as much as six complementary golf games.

Citi Cash Back Visa Card / Citibank Singapore

Investment

Spend S$1,500 in the first 3 months to receive 24,000 Membership Rewards points

The welcome bonus with this card is quite mouth-watering. Simply spend S$1,500 in the first 3 months to receive 24,000 Membership Rewards points. That you will find to be enough points to redeem for S$110 cash credit. Plus you can see the points add up with 100% bonus points on all spend in your first 3 months of Card Membership. I have been using this card now for 6 months and am yet to find reasons to complain.

American Express Rewards Card / American Express International