Who can confirm for me if the card-issuing bank can help me to stop payment and cancel the remaining IPP transactions on my Citibank SMRT Card with the merchant that I have signed up?

I am hoping to get clarification as regards transactions with my Citibank SMRT Card and in particular if the card-issuing bank can help to stop payment and cancel the remaining IPP transactions with a merchant that I have signed up? I require this majorly because it appears the merchant has stopped business.

Confused About Financial Products?

You can chat directly and receive the best offers from the experts.

• user image

No Name

Instalment Payment Plan (IPP) offer cardholders the luxury of paying for certain large purchases such as gym memberships, magazine subscriptions or household goods, over an extended period of up to 36 months. Although you are to pay by instalment, your bank will make full payment of the purchase price on your behalf to the merchant when the agreement is signed by you. Thus, you remain liable to repay the monthly instalments to your bank unless the merchant agrees to terminate the IPP and refund the bank. You are not able to terminate IPPs on the basis that you no longer receive the services or no longer wish to continue with the services provided by the merchant. In any case, in the event that the merchant ceases operations and you are unable to reach a resolution with the merchant, you may approach your card-issuing bank for assistance to raise a chargeback against the merchant. However, depending on your agreement with your card-issuing bank, you may not be able to claim any losses. On a best effort basis, your bank will attempt to recover on your behalf from the closed merchant. Failing which, the bank may refer you to the liquidators of the merchant or CASE for assistance. Before signing up for IPPs, cardholders are advised to deal with reputable merchants accredited under EduTrust or CaseTrust accreditation scheme which offer prepayment protection. You can check the CASE’ website at https://www.case.org.sg/consumeralertlist.aspx to see if there has been any complaints against the merchant or particular industry, read the merchant’s terms and conditions to ascertain whether there is any policy on returned goods or termination of services, find out the merchant’s terms and conditions on delivery fulfilment for goods or services and read and understand the card-issuing bank’s terms and conditions for IPPs.

2019.08.01 5:25

Please leave your knowledge and opinion!

Recommending Reviews

This is one of those rare online shopping cashback cards with no minimum spend

Citibank SMRT Card / Citibank Singapore

This is one of those rare online shopping cashback cards with no minimum spend. However, you shouldn’t use this card for online travel bookings as it’s excluded from the online category. Also, when buying movie tickets or fast food online, your spending could come under online shopping rather than their original spend categories, for which you will earn 2.7% for a total spend below $300 or 3% for a total spend above $300. If monthly spending is at least $300, you enjoy up to 3% savings on online shopping 2.7% + 0.3% that is if monthly card spend is at least $300.

The main drawback with this card is that it doesn’t reward for more extravagant expenses in life

That’s where the Citibank SMRT Card stands out from the pack as this is a card for average Singaporeans who are not interested in cultivating a lifestyle to impress their peers, and also for young and budget-conscious families it also works as an all-purpose cashback credit card. The main drawback is that it doesn’t really reward you for some of the more extravagant expenses in life. For instance, air tickets and hotel stays are quietly excluded from their cashback offer for online shopping, as are all restaurant dining and entertainment.

The card automatically comes with EZ-Reload enabled on it

When you get the card, it will automatically have EZ-Reload enabled on it. There’s no convenience fee for EZ-Reload auto top-up transactions, and you can get up to 1.7% or 2% (if you hit the min. spend of $300) in rebates. It used to be that one can exchange the SMRT$ (rebate) for vouchers to top up the EZ-Link card, but they stopped that. Now can only can use it to exchange other kind of vouchers like Giant and Popular.

The card allows for the exchanging of the rebate for cash rebate

Lately I noticed that the card allows for the exchanging of the rebate for cash rebate. This to me is the actual crowd pleaser as compared to exchanging for vouchers at shops that I don’t want to shop at in the first place. The cash rebate has to be done via SMS anyway and you can glance their product page for the exact details.

Related Forums

Are there free sim plans in Singapore?

How do I buy and sell my bonds?

How should I invest on my medical supplements using a credit card?

How do U apply for a telephone line in Singapore?

What is the best unlimited mobile data plan in Singapore?

What will happen if a foreigner borrows money from unlicensed money lenders?

Related Reviews

Fantastic Rewards

HSBC VISA Platinum Credit Card

A 5% cash rebate on fuel purchases and a 16% instant discount is a great deal for me I must say, the HSBC VISA Platinum Credit Card indeed makes driving more fun for me as i always look forward to the 16% instant discount plus 5% cash rebate on all fuel spend at Caltex and Shell stations

Fee waivers and No transfe fees

American Express Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS Credit Card / American Express International

The AMEX Express Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS Credit Card gives a First Year Fee Waiver for you to enjoy and also for your supplementary card members. In addition there are no transfer fees and all the KrisFlyer miles you can earn are directly transferred automatically to your KrisFlyer account with no transfer fee. I would recommend this card for these few reasons which could really make the difference.

Earn rebates in the form of cash rebates and LinkPoints by shopping at NTUC

OCBC Plus! VISA Credit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

Even as the OCBC Plus! Visa is not a cashback card, thus there is no cap, or "maximum" cash back, you get to still earn rebates in the form of cash rebates and LinkPoints by shopping at NTUC. However do note that there is a minimum spend of $500 in places outside NTUC before the full range of rebates and LinkPoints can be unlocked.

Poor Customer Service

Citi Rewards Card / Citibank Singapore

I am quite very disappointed with this card as I have never received the vouchers for all the points I have accumulated so far. I have on several occasions made complaints via the phone and even in person, but all to no avail. I would not recommend this card to anyone for this reason, i have to say unfortunately.

Complimentary Night Stay a Success

Citi Cash Back Visa Card / Citibank Singapore

Very impressed by the complimentary night stay I got after I made bookings for a five nights stay at a resort I spent my birthday at in Malaysia. Even more pleasing was the complimentary golf games at a high quality golf courses in Malaysia. As a matter of fact, I had as much as six complementary golf games.

This card gives me $80 cash rebates every month.

OCBC 365 Credit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

I fancy the OCBC 365 credit because it has cash rebate of $80, but only after you full fill their criteria. They require a minimum spending of $800 per month which in turn earns interest from different spending. This card suits me just fine being that I have broad spending habit and in the process it gives me $80 cash rebates every month. My only dislike is the rebate on the general spending which is 0.3%.

Confused About Financial Products?

You can chat directly and receive the best offers from the experts.