Why are overseas magnetic stripe transactions given the option to be enabled or disabled?

Who can explain to me why we are almost required to enable our cards for overseas magnetic stripe transactions?

Confused About Financial Products?

You can chat directly and receive the best offers from the experts.

• user image

No Name

The simple reason is that the magnetic stripe on the Card is easily read and copied, disabling the magnetic stripe for overseas use will help protect customers against fraudulent transactions that could arise due to such fraudulent copying of customer data from the Cards’ magnetic stripes. In addition, the EMV chip is encrypted which virtually eliminates the ability to copy the contents of the chip to another Card.

2019.08.01 4:38

Please leave your knowledge and opinion!

Related Forums

What is Singapore's main landline provider?

Why should I invest my money in Singapore?

I can't stop spending, I need to invest now.

What is the cheapest sim only plan in Singapore that provides data, calls and SMS?

How do U apply for a telephone line in Singapore?

How do I notify my landline provider my change of address?

Related Reviews

Too bad it is not an unlimited cashback card

HSBC Advance Credit Card / HSBC Bank Singapore

Unfortunately, the HSBC advance card is not an unlimited cashback card as they have a cap on the cashback per month, even for advance banking clients. Furthermore, if you are not an advance banking client, you would not get subsequent card fee waiver if you do not get to spend at least $12,000 in a year.

Customer care service at top notch

American Express True Cashback Card / American Express International

This is my first credit card and I was pleased with the process as the application was absolutely stress free and smooth with customer care service at top notch. I actually felt taken care of and it appeared I could rely on customer care service for virtually any issue. Plus they have a simple tracking system of cashback rewards, with a good App and web UI/UX.

When I apply via MyInfoget I get to use my card instantly

OCBC Robinsons Group Credit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

So it is really convenient that I can get and use my card instantly when I apply via MyInfo. And the cards instant digital card that can be used for mobile wallets, online and mobile app purchases. Now aside from the same day physical credit card issuance for online applications you also get S$50 cash rebate upon approval with no minimum spend required. However that is only for new OCBC Credit Card applications.

Zero Travel Related Online Merchants

Citi Prestige Card / Citibank Singapore

The Citi SMRT card is a pretty decent card for spending but they unfortunately exclude travel related online merchants. This to me is the downside of the card and may be a reason to get another card for travel websites.

Poor Customer Service

Citi Rewards Card / Citibank Singapore

I am quite very disappointed with this card as I have never received the vouchers for all the points I have accumulated so far. I have on several occasions made complaints via the phone and even in person, but all to no avail. I would not recommend this card to anyone for this reason, i have to say unfortunately.

Poor and upleasant hotline

HSBC Revolution Credit Card / HSBC Bank Singapore

I am a fresh graduate and just started my first job, I signed up for this card due to the onetime $150 cash back reward for $800 spend within the first two months. However for its main monthly rewards, it is nothing to be pleasant about and the hotline is very bad, I even had to hold more than 20 minutes during non-peak hour.

Confused About Financial Products?

You can chat directly and receive the best offers from the experts.