Forum
Last updated: 

Why are overseas magnetic stripe transactions given the option to be enabled or disabled?

Who can explain to me why we are almost required to enable our cards for overseas magnetic stripe transactions?

User comments

• user image

No Name

The simple reason is that the magnetic stripe on the Card is easily read and copied, disabling the magnetic stripe for overseas use will help protect customers against fraudulent transactions that could arise due to such fraudulent copying of customer data from the Cards’ magnetic stripes. In addition, the EMV chip is encrypted which virtually eliminates the ability to copy the contents of the chip to another Card.

2019.08.01 4:38

Please leave your knowledge and opinion!

Recommending Forums

Investment

Are debit cards of less importance than credit cards?

UOB Debit Card

Related Forums

Investment

Who are the foreigner that would affected by the changes in the laws of borrowing money?

Investment

What is the best unlimited mobile data plan in Singapore?

Investment

What is HSBC's personal loan in brief?

HSBC Personal Loan

Investment

WHat is the best way to invest my money on?

Investment

I'm investing on a farm abroad by using my credit card.I got scammed

Investment

WHat is the cheapest unlimited mobile data plan in Singapore?

I'm looking for an unlimited mobile data plan that is cheap and reliable. I already have one which offers me Unlimited data and unlimited call and SMS but I'm currently on a budget and I don;t really call or send SMS so I'm looking for a low priced but reliable unlimited mobile data plan with adequate speed.

Related Reviews

Investment

This card gives me $80 cash rebates every month.

I fancy the OCBC 365 credit because it has cash rebate of $80, but only after you full fill their criteria. They require a minimum spending of $800 per month which in turn earns interest from different spending. This card suits me just fine being that I have broad spending habit and in the process it gives me $80 cash rebates every month. My only dislike is the rebate on the general spending which is 0.3%.

OCBC 365 Credit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

Investment

Zero Travel Related Online Merchants

The Citi SMRT card is a pretty decent card for spending but they unfortunately exclude travel related online merchants. This to me is the downside of the card and may be a reason to get another card for travel websites.

Citi Prestige Card / Citibank Singapore

Investment

Pleasant Rewards

In my opinion, this card is one of the best cards in the market especially as there are no expiry date to miles earned and an amazing 2 VIP airport lounge access. I love the fact that the card can be used for major big ticket items and to clock mileage. Redemption can be done easily without hassle and customer service staff are very helpful

Citi PremierMiles Visa Card / Citibank Singapore

Investment

40,000 Membership Rewards points to refer a friends to the card

I like the idea that I can receive 40,000 Membership Rewards points when I get to successfully refer any of my friends to the card. Even more so as my friends can also receive 40,000 Membership Rewards points upon spend of S$5,000 in the first 3 months of their Card Membership. I think that is pretty much a win-win situation.

American Express Platinum Card / American Express International

Investment

When I apply via MyInfoget I get to use my card instantly

So it is really convenient that I can get and use my card instantly when I apply via MyInfo. And the cards instant digital card that can be used for mobile wallets, online and mobile app purchases. Now aside from the same day physical credit card issuance for online applications you also get S$50 cash rebate upon approval with no minimum spend required. However that is only for new OCBC Credit Card applications.

OCBC Robinsons Group Credit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

Investment

Poor Customer Service

I am quite very disappointed with this card as I have never received the vouchers for all the points I have accumulated so far. I have on several occasions made complaints via the phone and even in person, but all to no avail. I would not recommend this card to anyone for this reason, i have to say unfortunately.

Citi Rewards Card / Citibank Singapore