Forum
Last updated: 

What are the characteristics of a bond?

Whenever I think of a bond, I always think of it as the opposite of a loan where the government will give me a certificate stating the interest rate and the date when the bond will mature. I want to know if my interpretations are correct and I also want to know the actual characteristics of bonds and how they actually work.

User comments

• user image

No Name

Your interpretations are correct but we can look deeper into its characteristics. A bond has a face value which is the amount the bond will be worth at maturity and the amount the bond issuer uses when calculating interest payments. A bond has a coupon rate which is similar to interest rates. A bond shouls always have a maturity date which is self explanatory. Probobly the most important characteristic is the issue price which is the original price the issuer sells the bond.

2020.03.24 15:44

Please leave your knowledge and opinion!

Related Forums

Who are the foreigner that would affected by the changes in the laws of borrowing money?

What skills should I have to be a good investor?

Are there free sim plans in Singapore?

What will happen if a foreigner borrows money from unlicensed money lenders?

Why did the MOM decide to change the money lending laws for foreigners?

Should I invest on properties in Singapore?

Related Reviews

This card gives me $80 cash rebates every month.

I fancy the OCBC 365 credit because it has cash rebate of $80, but only after you full fill their criteria. They require a minimum spending of $800 per month which in turn earns interest from different spending. This card suits me just fine being that I have broad spending habit and in the process it gives me $80 cash rebates every month. My only dislike is the rebate on the general spending which is 0.3%.

OCBC 365 Credit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

Protection of up to 90 days for online purchases

The delivered on the promise of purchase Protection of up to 90 days when ensured reimbursement on an eligible online purchases I made with my Amex Express Gold Card. Irrespective where you buy online or shopping at the local supermarket, their Purchase Protection offers repair, replacement or reimbursement on eligible purchases made with the Card, that has been damaged or stolen within 90 days of purchase.

American Express Gold Card / American Express International

Spend S$1,500 in the first 3 months to receive 24,000 Membership Rewards points

The welcome bonus with this card is quite mouth-watering. Simply spend S$1,500 in the first 3 months to receive 24,000 Membership Rewards points. That you will find to be enough points to redeem for S$110 cash credit. Plus you can see the points add up with 100% bonus points on all spend in your first 3 months of Card Membership. I have been using this card now for 6 months and am yet to find reasons to complain.

American Express Rewards Card / American Express International

Too bad it is not an unlimited cashback card

Unfortunately, the HSBC advance card is not an unlimited cashback card as they have a cap on the cashback per month, even for advance banking clients. Furthermore, if you are not an advance banking client, you would not get subsequent card fee waiver if you do not get to spend at least $12,000 in a year.

HSBC Advance Credit Card / HSBC Bank Singapore

Ease of use to accumulate on miles

The American Express Krisflyer Credit Card has an attractive sign up bonus and it is easy to use to accumulate on miles as no conversion into KF account is required, and monthly auto “sweeping” of miles help save in the conversion fee. I also have had good experiences with their customer care service as the call center service is absolutely awesome.

American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card / American Express International

Zero Travel Related Online Merchants

The Citi SMRT card is a pretty decent card for spending but they unfortunately exclude travel related online merchants. This to me is the downside of the card and may be a reason to get another card for travel websites.

Citi Prestige Card / Citibank Singapore