What are investments in Singapore that would provide guaranteed principal and returns?

Investing is not just a business but also a risk and even be considered as a gamble if investors such as myself are not aware of what to invest on. As a new investor I still want to have the feeling of safety and security when it comes to earning as I also need to sustain myself and my family. Are there such things as investments in Singapore that provide guaranteed principals and returns?

Confused About Financial Products?

You can chat directly and receive the best offers from the experts.

• user image

No Name

Just like in any country, there aren't many investments that guarantee your principal as well as returns in Singapore but of those that do, you should be very careful of scams. One other thing to understand is that when you get to enjoy such safety in your investments and visibility in your cashflows, you need to be prepared to accept a rate of return that is close to the risk-free rate. Your first bet is to invest on Singapore Government Treasury bills and/or Singapore Government Bonds. You can also try investing on saving plans or fixed deposits but the returns are low. If you want higher returns then you really need to invest on high risk investments.

2020.03.24 15:44

Please leave your knowledge and opinion!

Related Forums

What are Stocks?

What is Singapore's main landline provider?

What skills should I have to be a good investor?

What will happen if a foreigner borrows money from unlicensed money lenders?

Should I invest on properties in Singapore?

How do U apply for a telephone line in Singapore?

Related Reviews

Spend S$1,500 in the first 3 months to receive 24,000 Membership Rewards points

American Express Rewards Card / American Express International

The welcome bonus with this card is quite mouth-watering. Simply spend S$1,500 in the first 3 months to receive 24,000 Membership Rewards points. That you will find to be enough points to redeem for S$110 cash credit. Plus you can see the points add up with 100% bonus points on all spend in your first 3 months of Card Membership. I have been using this card now for 6 months and am yet to find reasons to complain.

Earn up to 1% rebate on your purchase

OCBC Cashflo Credit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

If you target to spend on major event tickets and high price items with the plan to split by instalment then this card is for you. However I notice that if you have an existing OCBC saving account, it makes bill payments much more seamless. And aside from being able to split payment into monthly instalments interest free, you can earn up to 1% rebate on your purchase. Only few cards in the market that allow auto convert spending into interest free instalment and still be entitled to 0.5% or 1% cash rebate.

Poor and upleasant hotline

HSBC Revolution Credit Card / HSBC Bank Singapore

I am a fresh graduate and just started my first job, I signed up for this card due to the onetime $150 cash back reward for $800 spend within the first two months. However for its main monthly rewards, it is nothing to be pleasant about and the hotline is very bad, I even had to hold more than 20 minutes during non-peak hour.

This card gives me $80 cash rebates every month.

OCBC 365 Credit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

I fancy the OCBC 365 credit because it has cash rebate of $80, but only after you full fill their criteria. They require a minimum spending of $800 per month which in turn earns interest from different spending. This card suits me just fine being that I have broad spending habit and in the process it gives me $80 cash rebates every month. My only dislike is the rebate on the general spending which is 0.3%.

Too bad it is not an unlimited cashback card

HSBC Advance Credit Card / HSBC Bank Singapore

Unfortunately, the HSBC advance card is not an unlimited cashback card as they have a cap on the cashback per month, even for advance banking clients. Furthermore, if you are not an advance banking client, you would not get subsequent card fee waiver if you do not get to spend at least $12,000 in a year.

Emergency legal and medical assistance

American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card / American Express International

Seldom would you find a card that has your best interest at heart as the AMEX Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card with its Emergency legal and medical assistance even when you are anywhere in the world. You can enjoy privileges around the globe with Live the World and American Express with all round protection against accidental damage or theft for your purchases.

Confused About Financial Products?

You can chat directly and receive the best offers from the experts.