Hospital preventing a family to leave due to debts

I have a project wherein I will interview some families in the hospital with a daughter diagnosed as having appendicitis. I was able to talk with this one family and his story mad me wonder if such thing is possible. This father wanted to discharge her daughter to the hospital since her operation was already done. He was asking for time to pay all the bills but what the hospital did was hold them in charge until all of their expenses was paid.

Confused About Financial Products?

You can chat directly and receive the best offers from the experts.

• user image

No Name

Holding patients because of medical bills are illegal and you can fight for your right. A judge recently said that it was illegal to detain a patient because it will be a violation of human rights. Detaining a person inside a hospital will limit his or her movements which means that the hospital kind a took the freedom of the patient.

2020.03.24 15:44

Please leave your knowledge and opinion!

Related Forums

What happens after one has declared bankruptcy?

I owe my boss

I'm currently in a lot of debt. and I need it to stop

Is borrowing money from a loan shark legal?

Can I buy a foreclosed house?

Can a loan shark be full of debts?

Related Reviews

For people who buys groceries at NTUC Fairprice

OCBC Plus! VISA Debit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

I recommend the OCBC Plus! Visa Debit Card, for people who buys groceries at NTUC Fairprice (practically every Singaporean who’s not on RedMart). The OCBC Plus! Visa Debit Card offers a decent 4% rebate at NTUC FairPrice, Unity and Warehouse Club if you spend $200 outside of the “NTUC network” that month. If you spend $500, and your rebate goes up to 7%, you also get 3% link points when shopping on FaiPrice On. The downside is that the OCBC Plus! Visa Debit Card has an annual fee of $24. This is waived for the first year and subsequently takes $1,200 of spending per year (avg. $100 a month) to waive.

Enjoy up to 10% off on travel related bookings with participating merchants

UOB Direct VISA Debit Card / United Overseas Bank

With this card, you’ll be able to get cash rebates of up to 10% when you use your card to make purchases at participating merchants such as Cathay Cineplexes and Cold Storage.If you’re one for travelling and adventure, you can also enjoy up to 10% off on travel related bookings with participating merchants.There is no minimum income and annual fee required for this card.You only need to be 16 years or older with a UOB Savings Account or Current Account

Transact in multiple currencies without incurring foreign currency exchange fee

KrisFlyer UOB Account / United Overseas Bank

The KrisFlyer UOB Debit Card and Account has definitely changed for the better. With the introduction of Mighty FX, it now makes even more sense for a frequent traveller to take advantage of the enhanced ability of the KrisFlyer UOB Debit Card to transact in multiple currencies without incurring a foreign currency exchange fee. If you want to earn KrisFlyer miles and don’t want to get or don’t qualify for a credit card, then the KrisFlyer UOB Debit Card and Account are the way to go.

7% cashback on petrol even in Malaysia

Standard Chartered XtraSaver Debit Card / Standard Chartered Bank Singapore

Standard Chartered has several debit cards, and the one you’ll get depends on which bank account you choose. If you plan to bank with StanChart, consider the Standard Chartered XtraSaver Debit Card which is linked to the XtraSaver account. With this card, as long as you maintain a minimum balance of $6,000 in that account, you can get a very respectable 7% cashback on petrol (including in Malaysia), capped at $40 a month. If you have an account balance of at least $200,000, you can get up to 15% but the cap doesn’t change.

I won S$20 cash credit for the deposit account that was opened together with my debitrd

OCBC YES! Debit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

I am not one to win things so you can imagine my joy when I won S$20 cash credit for the deposit account that was opened together with my debit card. This promotion is however valid for your first OCBC deposit account and it must be opened online too. This offer is limited to the first 600 OCBC deposits accounts opened online per month.

1% cashback with participating retail and transport merchants

OCBC FRANK Debit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

This card is well known for their youth centred marketing campaigns and having a wide array of attractive card designs for you to choose from, this FRANK debit card is another popular choice amongst tertiary students. This card offers a 1% cashback with participating retail and transport merchants such as ZALORA, Lazada and Grab. Good enough, there is no minimum income and annual fee required for this card. You only need to be 16 years or older with an OCBE FRANK savings account.

Confused About Financial Products?

You can chat directly and receive the best offers from the experts.