Hospital preventing a family to leave due to debts

I have a project wherein I will interview some families in the hospital with a daughter diagnosed as having appendicitis. I was able to talk with this one family and his story mad me wonder if such thing is possible. This father wanted to discharge her daughter to the hospital since her operation was already done. He was asking for time to pay all the bills but what the hospital did was hold them in charge until all of their expenses was paid.

• user image

No Name

Holding patients because of medical bills are illegal and you can fight for your right. A judge recently said that it was illegal to detain a patient because it will be a violation of human rights. Detaining a person inside a hospital will limit his or her movements which means that the hospital kind a took the freedom of the patient.

2020.03.24 15:44

Please leave your knowledge and opinion!

Related Forums

I'm currently in a lot of debt. and I need it to stop

My neighbor owed me money for a year and stil haven't paying me back.

Foreclosure of a private property

What will happen if someone unfortunately die of accident leaving his debts behind?

I have a debt and charged me with high interest rate, what should I do?

Is my brother a possible guarantor?

Related Reviews

Transact in multiple currencies without incurring foreign currency exchange fee

KrisFlyer UOB Account / United Overseas Bank

The KrisFlyer UOB Debit Card and Account has definitely changed for the better. With the introduction of Mighty FX, it now makes even more sense for a frequent traveller to take advantage of the enhanced ability of the KrisFlyer UOB Debit Card to transact in multiple currencies without incurring a foreign currency exchange fee. If you want to earn KrisFlyer miles and don’t want to get or don’t qualify for a credit card, then the KrisFlyer UOB Debit Card and Account are the way to go.

No transaction fee for your cash withdrawal via 24,000 BOC ATMs in Mainland China

BOC UnionPay Dual Currency Debit Card / Bank of China

With this card there are no currency exchange fees for all RMB transactions through RMB account. Plus enjoy convenience via UnionPay, the largest payment network in China. Interestingly, if the balance on your RMB sub-account is insufficient, the card will deduct from your SGD sub-account based on BOC’s real time exchange rate. There are no transaction fee for your cash withdrawal via 24,000 BOC ATMs in Mainland China for a limited time however.

An all in one card which provides the convenience of a combined credit and membership card

DBS NUSSU Debit Card / DBS Bank

This is yet another awesome all in one card which provides you with the convenience of a combined credit and membership card with the features that allow you to auto-charge NUSS bills to your Card. It comes with a pleasant complimentary annual fee waiver as long as you’re a NUSS Member. You also earn 2 DBS Rewards Points for every S$5 spend at any of the NUSS F&B outlets, earn 1 DBS Rewards Point for every S$5 you charge to your card island wide.

I won S$20 cash credit for the deposit account that was opened together with my debitrd

OCBC YES! Debit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

I am not one to win things so you can imagine my joy when I won S$20 cash credit for the deposit account that was opened together with my debit card. This promotion is however valid for your first OCBC deposit account and it must be opened online too. This offer is limited to the first 600 OCBC deposits accounts opened online per month.

Earn unlimited cash rebate of 0.3% for all local and overseas retail transactions

BOC Zaobao Debit Card / Bank of China

Earn unlimited cash rebate of 0.3% for all local and overseas retail transactions when using your BOC Zaobao Debit Card.This offer is valid for a monthly spend of at least S$100 with a minimum deposit of S$1,500 and/or a monthly spend of at least RMB 500 with a minimum deposit of RMB 7,500 in the account.Other privileges allow you to use your new BOC UnionPay Dual Currency Debit Card at any UnionPay's merchants to enjoy 0.3% cash rebate and/or exclusive offers

1% cashback with participating retail and transport merchants

OCBC FRANK Debit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

This card is well known for their youth centred marketing campaigns and having a wide array of attractive card designs for you to choose from, this FRANK debit card is another popular choice amongst tertiary students. This card offers a 1% cashback with participating retail and transport merchants such as ZALORA, Lazada and Grab. Good enough, there is no minimum income and annual fee required for this card. You only need to be 16 years or older with an OCBE FRANK savings account.