Forum
Last updated: 

Hospital preventing a family to leave due to debts

I have a project wherein I will interview some families in the hospital with a daughter diagnosed as having appendicitis. I was able to talk with this one family and his story mad me wonder if such thing is possible. This father wanted to discharge her daughter to the hospital since her operation was already done. He was asking for time to pay all the bills but what the hospital did was hold them in charge until all of their expenses was paid.

User comments

• user image

No Name

Holding patients because of medical bills are illegal and you can fight for your right. A judge recently said that it was illegal to detain a patient because it will be a violation of human rights. Detaining a person inside a hospital will limit his or her movements which means that the hospital kind a took the freedom of the patient.

2020.03.24 15:44

Please leave your knowledge and opinion!

Related Forums

The debt collector is asking for a private settlement

Can a loan shark be full of debts?

I'm currently in a lot of debt. and I need it to stop

I am called to pay my debt earlier than the agreed time.

My neighbor owed me money for a year and stil haven't paying me back.

Is my brother a possible guarantor?

Related Reviews

Greater control over foreign currency exchange rates that you get

With UOB Mighty FX, you not only save on additional foreign exchange (FX) conversion fees when you shop on overseas websites, but you also have greater control over the foreign currency exchange rates that you get. UOB Mighty FX allows you to view and exchange with real-time foreign exchange (FX) rates for popular currencies including USD, GBP, Euro, Australian Dollar (AUD) and Japanese Yen (JPY). Some exchange rates offered by UOB Mighty FX are even better than those at popular money changers, so clearly, this can help you save some money.

UOB Mighty FX / United Overseas Bank

24-hour Concierge and minimum of 16 years of age eligibility

Major highlights with this card has got to be the 24-hour Concierge, minimum of 16 years of age eligibility, 1% cashback on overseas and online transactions with minimum spend of SGD $1,000 per quarter, 0.3% cashback on local transactions with minimum spend of SGD $1,000 per quarter and enables contactless payment with maximum spend of SGD $100 under UnionPay QuickPass.

DBS UnionPay Platinum Debit Card / DBS Bank

Withdraw cash from Maybank ATMs with no transaction fees

The Maybank offers two debit cards, the Maybank Platinum Debit Card (Mastercard) and the Maybank Manchester United Platinum Visa Debit Card. Now for those of us, especially those who frequent Malaysia, the free Maybank Platinum Debit Card is pretty useful as it lets you withdraw cash from Maybank ATMs with no transaction fees. Bear in mind, however, that foreign exchange rates may apply.

Maybank Platinum Debit Card / Maybank Singapore

An all in one card which provides the convenience of a combined credit and membership card

This is yet another awesome all in one card which provides you with the convenience of a combined credit and membership card with the features that allow you to auto-charge NUSS bills to your Card. It comes with a pleasant complimentary annual fee waiver as long as you’re a NUSS Member. You also earn 2 DBS Rewards Points for every S$5 spend at any of the NUSS F&B outlets, earn 1 DBS Rewards Point for every S$5 you charge to your card island wide.

DBS NUSSU Debit Card / DBS Bank

Transact in multiple currencies without incurring foreign currency exchange fee

The KrisFlyer UOB Debit Card and Account has definitely changed for the better. With the introduction of Mighty FX, it now makes even more sense for a frequent traveller to take advantage of the enhanced ability of the KrisFlyer UOB Debit Card to transact in multiple currencies without incurring a foreign currency exchange fee. If you want to earn KrisFlyer miles and don’t want to get or don’t qualify for a credit card, then the KrisFlyer UOB Debit Card and Account are the way to go.

KrisFlyer UOB Account / United Overseas Bank

For people who buys groceries at NTUC Fairprice

I recommend the OCBC Plus! Visa Debit Card, for people who buys groceries at NTUC Fairprice (practically every Singaporean who’s not on RedMart). The OCBC Plus! Visa Debit Card offers a decent 4% rebate at NTUC FairPrice, Unity and Warehouse Club if you spend $200 outside of the “NTUC network” that month. If you spend $500, and your rebate goes up to 7%, you also get 3% link points when shopping on FaiPrice On. The downside is that the OCBC Plus! Visa Debit Card has an annual fee of $24. This is waived for the first year and subsequently takes $1,200 of spending per year (avg. $100 a month) to waive.

OCBC Plus! VISA Debit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation