Forum
Last updated: 

What will happen if someone unfortunately die of accident leaving his debts behind?

My uncle died in a car accident the past month. Upto this day his family mourn for him and worries about the debts he left with my aunt and his sons. His will was not given to them since his debts was the executor prioritizes it before his will be stated to them. They got their family lawyer to settle his will along with his assets and liabilities.

User comments

• user image

No Name

The family, including his wife (unless they have joint accounts) and sons, will not be inheriting the debts that your uncle left them. The debts of your uncle will be payable out of his estate. The executor responsible will then proceed to sell off investments and withdraw the money left in the deceased's bank accounts to pay off his debts. After settling the debts, is the time when the executor will distribute the remaining assets according to the instructions of the deceased’s will.

2020.03.24 15:44

Please leave your knowledge and opinion!

Related Forums

I owe my boss

Is borrowing money from a loan shark legal?

What should I do with my debt to a loan shark?

Can I get loan even though I have debts?

Can civil suit be taken regardless of private settlement?

I am called to pay my debt earlier than the agreed time.

Related Reviews

No transaction fee for your cash withdrawal via 24,000 BOC ATMs in Mainland China

With this card there are no currency exchange fees for all RMB transactions through RMB account. Plus enjoy convenience via UnionPay, the largest payment network in China. Interestingly, if the balance on your RMB sub-account is insufficient, the card will deduct from your SGD sub-account based on BOC’s real time exchange rate. There are no transaction fee for your cash withdrawal via 24,000 BOC ATMs in Mainland China for a limited time however.

BOC UnionPay Dual Currency Debit Card / Bank of China

For people who buys groceries at NTUC Fairprice

I recommend the OCBC Plus! Visa Debit Card, for people who buys groceries at NTUC Fairprice (practically every Singaporean who’s not on RedMart). The OCBC Plus! Visa Debit Card offers a decent 4% rebate at NTUC FairPrice, Unity and Warehouse Club if you spend $200 outside of the “NTUC network” that month. If you spend $500, and your rebate goes up to 7%, you also get 3% link points when shopping on FaiPrice On. The downside is that the OCBC Plus! Visa Debit Card has an annual fee of $24. This is waived for the first year and subsequently takes $1,200 of spending per year (avg. $100 a month) to waive.

OCBC Plus! VISA Debit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

Charging annual fees on a debit card,

UOB has several debit cards in its stable, but I would urge you to ignore the crowd and quantity and go for quality like the UOB Delight Debit Card. But I think it’s quite absurd that they are charging annual fees on a debit card, yes that is right, yes, believe it or not, UOB charges annual fees on their debit cards – and some are not that easy to waive.

UOB Delight Debit Card / United Overseas Bank

2% cashback on all contactless payments and 1% on online shopping with no minimum spend

In my opinion, the SAFRA DBS debit card is simply the best debit card. NSF cardholders can get 2% cashback on all contactless payments and 1% on online shopping with no minimum spend. For everyone else, that is non-NSFs, the minimum spend to enjoy these bonus cashback rates is actually $400. But by and large this I believe is worth it in order to reap the full benefits with the card.

SAFRA DBS Debit Card / DBS Bank

3% cashback for contactless payments like Visa PayWave, Apple Pay transactions

The DBS Visa Debit Card has my vote for being the one of the best debit cards in Singapore. You get 3% cashback for contactless payments like Visa PayWave, Apple Pay transactions with a few conditions to be met like spend at least $400 a month on your debit card and limit cash withdrawals to $400 or less a month. Cashback is capped at $50 a month while you should note that PayWave transactions are capped at $200 per transaction. You should also know that the card can be used overseas with no foreign transaction fee if paired with a DBS Multi-Currency Account

DBS Visa Debit Card / DBS Bank

Annual fee waiver triggered with at least 12 MasterCard transactions per calendar year

The principal UOB Lady’s Debit Card is entitled to the first 3 years card fee waived while thereafter, annual fee waiver will be triggered with at least 12 MasterCard transactions per calendar year. By the way annual fee waiver shall not apply to applicants who have cancelled and reapplied for the same principal UOB Lady’s Debit Card. For eligibility, applicant must be female and be at least 16 years old and no minimum income is requirement.

UOB Lady’s Debit Card / United Overseas Bank