Forum
Last updated: 

What will happen if someone unfortunately die of accident leaving his debts behind?

My uncle died in a car accident the past month. Upto this day his family mourn for him and worries about the debts he left with my aunt and his sons. His will was not given to them since his debts was the executor prioritizes it before his will be stated to them. They got their family lawyer to settle his will along with his assets and liabilities.

User comments

• user image

No Name

The family, including his wife (unless they have joint accounts) and sons, will not be inheriting the debts that your uncle left them. The debts of your uncle will be payable out of his estate. The executor responsible will then proceed to sell off investments and withdraw the money left in the deceased's bank accounts to pay off his debts. After settling the debts, is the time when the executor will distribute the remaining assets according to the instructions of the deceased’s will.

2020.03.24 15:44

Please leave your knowledge and opinion!

Related Forums

Hospital preventing a family to leave due to debts

Can civil suit be taken regardless of private settlement?

Is being a guarantor a practical job?

Can creditors sue me for debts if I file for bankruptcy?

I'm currently in a lot of debt. and I need it to stop

I have a debt and charged me with high interest rate, what should I do?

Related Reviews

Greater control over foreign currency exchange rates that you get

With UOB Mighty FX, you not only save on additional foreign exchange (FX) conversion fees when you shop on overseas websites, but you also have greater control over the foreign currency exchange rates that you get. UOB Mighty FX allows you to view and exchange with real-time foreign exchange (FX) rates for popular currencies including USD, GBP, Euro, Australian Dollar (AUD) and Japanese Yen (JPY). Some exchange rates offered by UOB Mighty FX are even better than those at popular money changers, so clearly, this can help you save some money.

UOB Mighty FX / United Overseas Bank

3% cashback for contactless payments like Visa PayWave, Apple Pay transactions

The DBS Visa Debit Card has my vote for being the one of the best debit cards in Singapore. You get 3% cashback for contactless payments like Visa PayWave, Apple Pay transactions with a few conditions to be met like spend at least $400 a month on your debit card and limit cash withdrawals to $400 or less a month. Cashback is capped at $50 a month while you should note that PayWave transactions are capped at $200 per transaction. You should also know that the card can be used overseas with no foreign transaction fee if paired with a DBS Multi-Currency Account

DBS Visa Debit Card / DBS Bank

Withdraw cash from Maybank ATMs with no transaction fees

The Maybank offers two debit cards, the Maybank Platinum Debit Card (Mastercard) and the Maybank Manchester United Platinum Visa Debit Card. Now for those of us, especially those who frequent Malaysia, the free Maybank Platinum Debit Card is pretty useful as it lets you withdraw cash from Maybank ATMs with no transaction fees. Bear in mind, however, that foreign exchange rates may apply.

Maybank Platinum Debit Card / Maybank Singapore

No annual fee and works as a multi-currency card

Citibank only has one debit card which is the Citibank Debit Mastercard. Regardless of whether you bank with Citibank regularly, this is a useful debit card for frequent travellers. This debit card with no annual fee works as a multi-currency card if you link it to a Citibank Global Foreign Currency Account. Like with the DBS Multi-Currency Account, you can easily convert SGD to 9 foreign currencies: AUD, CAD, EUR, HKD, JPY, NZD, GBP, USD and Swiss Franc.

Citibank Debit Mastercard / Citibank Singapore

1% cashback with participating retail and transport merchants

This card is well known for their youth centred marketing campaigns and having a wide array of attractive card designs for you to choose from, this FRANK debit card is another popular choice amongst tertiary students. This card offers a 1% cashback with participating retail and transport merchants such as ZALORA, Lazada and Grab. Good enough, there is no minimum income and annual fee required for this card. You only need to be 16 years or older with an OCBE FRANK savings account.

OCBC FRANK Debit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

No transaction fee for your cash withdrawal via 24,000 BOC ATMs in Mainland China

With this card there are no currency exchange fees for all RMB transactions through RMB account. Plus enjoy convenience via UnionPay, the largest payment network in China. Interestingly, if the balance on your RMB sub-account is insufficient, the card will deduct from your SGD sub-account based on BOC’s real time exchange rate. There are no transaction fee for your cash withdrawal via 24,000 BOC ATMs in Mainland China for a limited time however.

BOC UnionPay Dual Currency Debit Card / Bank of China