Can creditors sue me for debts if I file for bankruptcy?

I just filed for bankruptcy because I incurred a huge amount of debt. I am afraid that my creditors would file a case against me for nt ebing able to pay for my debt on time before I filed for bankruptcy and because they are not able to immediately recover the debt that I incurred before bankruptcy.

Confused About Financial Products?

You can chat directly and receive the best offers from the experts.

• user image

No Name

Since you already filed for bankruptcy, you have nothing to worry about. One of the benefits of filing for bankruptcy is that creditors cannot sue you because they are banned from commencing legal proceedings against you to recover debts incurred before bankruptcym after the making of the Bankruptcy Order.

2020.03.24 15:44

Please leave your knowledge and opinion!

Related Forums

Is borrowing money from a loan shark legal?

I owe my boss

Can I buy a foreclosed house?

Is my brother a possible guarantor?

I am called to pay my debt earlier than the agreed time.

I have a debt and charged me with high interest rate, what should I do?

Related Reviews

3% cashback for contactless payments like Visa PayWave, Apple Pay transactions

DBS Visa Debit Card / DBS Bank

The DBS Visa Debit Card has my vote for being the one of the best debit cards in Singapore. You get 3% cashback for contactless payments like Visa PayWave, Apple Pay transactions with a few conditions to be met like spend at least $400 a month on your debit card and limit cash withdrawals to $400 or less a month. Cashback is capped at $50 a month while you should note that PayWave transactions are capped at $200 per transaction. You should also know that the card can be used overseas with no foreign transaction fee if paired with a DBS Multi-Currency Account

Supports the NETS FlashPay function to top up and tap for public transport,

HSBC Debit Card / HSBC Bank Singapore

The HSBC debit cards have no annual fees and it offers overseas cash withdrawal with no transaction fee at HSBC ATMs. However, this is ONLY for HSBC Advance and Premier Account holders. If you do qualify, the good thing is that HSBC has a strong ATM network in countries like Hong Kong.This card also supports the NETS FlashPay function so you can top up and tap for public transport, you can also link it up with SimplyGo and can be used to withdraw cash from cash points like 7-11, Cold Storage, Guardian and ATMs with “atm5” symbol

No annual fee and works as a multi-currency card

Citibank Debit Mastercard / Citibank Singapore

Citibank only has one debit card which is the Citibank Debit Mastercard. Regardless of whether you bank with Citibank regularly, this is a useful debit card for frequent travellers. This debit card with no annual fee works as a multi-currency card if you link it to a Citibank Global Foreign Currency Account. Like with the DBS Multi-Currency Account, you can easily convert SGD to 9 foreign currencies: AUD, CAD, EUR, HKD, JPY, NZD, GBP, USD and Swiss Franc.

Withdraw cash from Maybank ATMs with no transaction fees

Maybank Platinum Debit Card / Maybank Singapore

The Maybank offers two debit cards, the Maybank Platinum Debit Card (Mastercard) and the Maybank Manchester United Platinum Visa Debit Card. Now for those of us, especially those who frequent Malaysia, the free Maybank Platinum Debit Card is pretty useful as it lets you withdraw cash from Maybank ATMs with no transaction fees. Bear in mind, however, that foreign exchange rates may apply.

For people who buys groceries at NTUC Fairprice

OCBC Plus! VISA Debit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

I recommend the OCBC Plus! Visa Debit Card, for people who buys groceries at NTUC Fairprice (practically every Singaporean who’s not on RedMart). The OCBC Plus! Visa Debit Card offers a decent 4% rebate at NTUC FairPrice, Unity and Warehouse Club if you spend $200 outside of the “NTUC network” that month. If you spend $500, and your rebate goes up to 7%, you also get 3% link points when shopping on FaiPrice On. The downside is that the OCBC Plus! Visa Debit Card has an annual fee of $24. This is waived for the first year and subsequently takes $1,200 of spending per year (avg. $100 a month) to waive.

Annual fee waiver triggered with at least 12 MasterCard transactions per calendar year

UOB Lady’s Debit Card / United Overseas Bank

The principal UOB Lady’s Debit Card is entitled to the first 3 years card fee waived while thereafter, annual fee waiver will be triggered with at least 12 MasterCard transactions per calendar year. By the way annual fee waiver shall not apply to applicants who have cancelled and reapplied for the same principal UOB Lady’s Debit Card. For eligibility, applicant must be female and be at least 16 years old and no minimum income is requirement.

Confused About Financial Products?

You can chat directly and receive the best offers from the experts.