Is borrowing money from a loan shark legal?

My friend is currently in short of money. He tried to borrow money from me but I am also in financial trouble as well. Then, he told me recently of how he had money. He said that he have borrowed money from his officemate. But after a week he is being charged with 40% of interest and his pay due date is in a week. He was shocked and he wants someone to help because that is not what they agreed upon.

• user image

No Name

Loan sharks have existed every since people and groups needed money to create business or pay their existing debts. Unfortunately, they do not operate within the regulations of Singapore's Ministry of Law. In turn, they can increase interest rates to the highest levels they wish monthly and reject the amounts you regularly pay to allow them to gain higher interest rates and more money from you.

2020.03.24 15:44

Please leave your knowledge and opinion!

Related Forums

Can I get loan even though I have debts?

I owe my boss

I am called to pay my debt earlier than the agreed time.

Can I buy a foreclosed house?

Can creditors sue me for debts if I file for bankruptcy?

Can a loan shark be full of debts?

Related Reviews

Cash rebate is capped at a maximum of S$10 per calendar month.

Bank of China Great Wall International Debit Card / Bank of China

The Bank of China is now officially part of the atm5 shared network and in effect you can now check your account balance and enjoy cash withdrawals with your BOC Great Wall International MasterCard Debit Card at over 230 ATMs with atm5 Logo Island wide without any transaction fees. You should know that cash rebate is capped at a maximum of S$10 per calendar month.

I won S$20 cash credit for the deposit account that was opened together with my debitrd

OCBC YES! Debit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

I am not one to win things so you can imagine my joy when I won S$20 cash credit for the deposit account that was opened together with my debit card. This promotion is however valid for your first OCBC deposit account and it must be opened online too. This offer is limited to the first 600 OCBC deposits accounts opened online per month.

1% cashback with participating retail and transport merchants

OCBC FRANK Debit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

This card is well known for their youth centred marketing campaigns and having a wide array of attractive card designs for you to choose from, this FRANK debit card is another popular choice amongst tertiary students. This card offers a 1% cashback with participating retail and transport merchants such as ZALORA, Lazada and Grab. Good enough, there is no minimum income and annual fee required for this card. You only need to be 16 years or older with an OCBE FRANK savings account.

No annual fee and works as a multi-currency card

Citibank Debit Mastercard / Citibank Singapore

Citibank only has one debit card which is the Citibank Debit Mastercard. Regardless of whether you bank with Citibank regularly, this is a useful debit card for frequent travellers. This debit card with no annual fee works as a multi-currency card if you link it to a Citibank Global Foreign Currency Account. Like with the DBS Multi-Currency Account, you can easily convert SGD to 9 foreign currencies: AUD, CAD, EUR, HKD, JPY, NZD, GBP, USD and Swiss Franc.

Enjoy up to 10% off on travel related bookings with participating merchants

UOB Direct VISA Debit Card / United Overseas Bank

With this card, you’ll be able to get cash rebates of up to 10% when you use your card to make purchases at participating merchants such as Cathay Cineplexes and Cold Storage.If you’re one for travelling and adventure, you can also enjoy up to 10% off on travel related bookings with participating merchants.There is no minimum income and annual fee required for this card.You only need to be 16 years or older with a UOB Savings Account or Current Account

3% voucher rebates along with a chance to earn Takashimaya Bonus Point

DBS Takashimaya Debit Card / DBS Bank

This card offers a 3% voucher rebates along with a chance to earn 1 Takashimaya Bonus Point with every S$10 charged and redeem S$30 worth of Takashimaya Gift Vouchers with every 100 Takashimaya Bonus Points shopping discounts.They go even further with an additional 10% off during selected sales events in-store with complimentary free delivery service when you meet certain spend amount