Is borrowing money from a loan shark legal?

My friend is currently in short of money. He tried to borrow money from me but I am also in financial trouble as well. Then, he told me recently of how he had money. He said that he have borrowed money from his officemate. But after a week he is being charged with 40% of interest and his pay due date is in a week. He was shocked and he wants someone to help because that is not what they agreed upon.

Confused About Financial Products?

You can chat directly and receive the best offers from the experts.

• user image

No Name

Loan sharks have existed every since people and groups needed money to create business or pay their existing debts. Unfortunately, they do not operate within the regulations of Singapore's Ministry of Law. In turn, they can increase interest rates to the highest levels they wish monthly and reject the amounts you regularly pay to allow them to gain higher interest rates and more money from you.

2020.03.24 15:44

Please leave your knowledge and opinion!

Related Forums

Can civil suit be taken regardless of private settlement?

What happens after one has declared bankruptcy?

Is my brother a possible guarantor?

Hospital preventing a family to leave due to debts

What should I do with my debt to a loan shark?

Foreclosure of a private property

Related Reviews

Allows you to check your LinkPoints balance and transaction history conveniently

NTUC Plus! VISA Debit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

The NTUC Plus! Visa Debit Card Plus App enhances your rewards experience and allows you to check your LinkPoints balance and transaction history conveniently. So be it shopping, exercising, traveling or dining, explore the discounts and deals you can get under Plus! Treats. You can even collect stamps from Plus! Partners to redeem exciting rewards.

Greater control over foreign currency exchange rates that you get

UOB Mighty FX / United Overseas Bank

With UOB Mighty FX, you not only save on additional foreign exchange (FX) conversion fees when you shop on overseas websites, but you also have greater control over the foreign currency exchange rates that you get. UOB Mighty FX allows you to view and exchange with real-time foreign exchange (FX) rates for popular currencies including USD, GBP, Euro, Australian Dollar (AUD) and Japanese Yen (JPY). Some exchange rates offered by UOB Mighty FX are even better than those at popular money changers, so clearly, this can help you save some money.

Annual fee waiver triggered with at least 12 MasterCard transactions per calendar year

UOB Lady’s Debit Card / United Overseas Bank

The principal UOB Lady’s Debit Card is entitled to the first 3 years card fee waived while thereafter, annual fee waiver will be triggered with at least 12 MasterCard transactions per calendar year. By the way annual fee waiver shall not apply to applicants who have cancelled and reapplied for the same principal UOB Lady’s Debit Card. For eligibility, applicant must be female and be at least 16 years old and no minimum income is requirement.

An all in one card which provides the convenience of a combined credit and membership card

DBS NUSSU Debit Card / DBS Bank

This is yet another awesome all in one card which provides you with the convenience of a combined credit and membership card with the features that allow you to auto-charge NUSS bills to your Card. It comes with a pleasant complimentary annual fee waiver as long as you’re a NUSS Member. You also earn 2 DBS Rewards Points for every S$5 spend at any of the NUSS F&B outlets, earn 1 DBS Rewards Point for every S$5 you charge to your card island wide.

Withdraw cash in ten currencies and enjoy cash withdrawal fee waiver across all ATMs worldwide

HSBC Everyday Global Debit Card / HSBC Bank Singapore

This card lets you withdraw cash in ten currencies at $0 fee and enjoy cash withdrawal fee waiver across all ATMs worldwide. This is great news for people who aren’t comfortable with carrying large amounts of cash around, and don’t want to pay ATM withdrawal fees. So, if let’s say you’re travelling to England, you can convert SGD to Pound sterling in just a few steps instantly on the QuickFX app. You can then withdraw it using your Everyday Global Debit Card in England without having to pay foreign exchange fees and ATM fees, or simply make payments directly to the merchant.

Withdraw cash from Maybank ATMs with no transaction fees

Maybank Platinum Debit Card / Maybank Singapore

The Maybank offers two debit cards, the Maybank Platinum Debit Card (Mastercard) and the Maybank Manchester United Platinum Visa Debit Card. Now for those of us, especially those who frequent Malaysia, the free Maybank Platinum Debit Card is pretty useful as it lets you withdraw cash from Maybank ATMs with no transaction fees. Bear in mind, however, that foreign exchange rates may apply.

Confused About Financial Products?

You can chat directly and receive the best offers from the experts.