What age can someone open a debit card.

A friend of mine, Ms. Rica has a daughter who is 15 years of age. She wants her child to open a bank account and have a debit card for security purposes for her daughter. They want their daughter to know the value of money while she is in a minor age. I want to know if she can be qualified to open one.

Confused About Financial Products?

You can chat directly and receive the best offers from the experts.

• user image

No Name

Every parent always want their children to have an emergency money that they can easiliy access anytime they need it. One of those the easy accesses for them to send money to their children when away is through a debit card. But not every child can get an account or have a debit card from a bank they must be at least 16 years old to apply for a Debit Card.

2020.03.24 15:44

Please leave your knowledge and opinion!

Related Forums

Can i use my debit card for my maintenance?

What is the safest bank to apply for a Debit Card?

Using the companies Debit card.

My bank fails. What should I do?

What if I get fraud with the bank while I'm away from Singapore.

I accidently damage my Debit Card. What should I do?

Related Reviews

Convenience of accessing your account via the Global view facility

HSBC Premier Lite / HSBC Bank Singapore

They allow eligibility for children aged 18 and below with a minimum initial deposit of S$1. With the HSBC Premier Lite Savings account as their first savings account, they will not only start saving early, but also receive a recognition card that offers worldwide emergency support wherever they may be. Apart from the exclusive HSBC Premier interest rates, you also have the convenience of accessing your account via the Global view facility, or through HSBC’s global ATM network and 24-hour Phone Banking Services.

Make use of your UOB Personal Internet Banking to track your account balances

UOB Passbook Savings Account / United Overseas Bank

This is a savings account with a stylish passbook provided entirely free of charge. Despite this being a passbook savings account, you can still make use of UOB Personal Internet Banking and use it to track your account balances. Internet Banking will provide you the banking convenience where you can make banking transactions anytime at anywhere, banking conveniences literally at your fingertips.

Awesome banking products with preferential savings rates and lifestyle perks for the elderly

Maybank Passion Plus Programme / Maybank Singapore

Maybank Singapore goes the extra mile with this one to targets the elderly in new integrated banking package with access to products such as endowment and retirement plans. Maybank Singapore’s integrated package encompassing banking products with preferential savings rates and lifestyle perks for customers aged 50 and above as part of its efforts to help them grow their retirement funds is simple genius

I use CIMB FastSaver to deposit savings for my parents

CIMB FastSaver Account / CIMB Bank Berhad Singapore Branch

This is a straightforward bank account which makes saving simple. As it does not come with the multiple criteria to earn a higher interest, the rate is lower compared to local banks, but up to 1.8% p.a. and there is no fall below fee involved. I use CIMB FastSaver to deposit savings for my parents and overall customer service is great since not many people use this bank.

A fantastic account for wealthy, consistent savers who can maintain a high balance

Citi MaxiGain Savings Account / Citibank Singapore

The Citi MaxiGain Savings Account is a fantastic account for wealthy, consistent savers who can maintain a balance between S$70,000–S$150,000. To begin with, this account is a bit unique as the base interest rate is set to 70% of the 1-month SIBOR (Singapore Interbank Offer Rate), which changes daily–making rates slightly more variable than with other accounts. As a baseline, the effective base rate tends to be around 1.00% p.a., more or less, which is by far the highest available as per market standards.

Hit the rate cap and continue to enjoy the base interest rate of 0.01% p.a.

Citibank Tap and Save Account / Citibank Singapore

If you often have wondered what will happen when you hit the rate cap, with Citibank tap and save account you will continue to enjoy the base interest rate of 0.01% p.a. and step up interest rate of 0.12% p.a. by continuing to ensure that your current month's minimum balance is greater than your last month's minimum balance or by maintaining your balance above S$20,000.

Confused About Financial Products?

You can chat directly and receive the best offers from the experts.