My bank fails. What should I do?

I only have one bank here in Singapore, all of my savings are being deposited to this specific bank that I have been trusting since I first got a job. Now there is news that the bank that I have been keeping my money has suddenly gone bankrupt and told that I would not be opening anytime soon. What should I do to get my money now?

Search other products or providers:

• user image

No Name

Banks are the safest place to keep your money. But from time to time some banks experience bankruptcy. Most banks are FDIC secured. If your bank is under the FDIC your money is safe that is upto $250,000.

2020.03.24 15:44

Please leave your knowledge and opinion!

Related Forums

I accidently damage my Debit Card. What should I do?

Can I reimburse the money from the company?

What is the safest bank to apply for a Debit Card?

Is it safe to give my account number to other persons?

Using the companies Debit card.

Am I required to have a debit card?

Related Reviews

User interface for the mobile and online banking is lagging

CIMB FastSaver-i Account / CIMB Bank Berhad Singapore Branch

Good account with pretty good interest without having to worry about minimum spend or other transactions. However, since they encourage account holders to go cardless, to get a card you may need to pay for it. I find that the user interface for the mobile and online banking is rather lacklustre as logging in seems to be a huge problem for the app.

A fantastic account for wealthy, consistent savers who can maintain a high balance

Citi MaxiGain Savings Account / Citibank Singapore

The Citi MaxiGain Savings Account is a fantastic account for wealthy, consistent savers who can maintain a balance between S$70,000–S$150,000. To begin with, this account is a bit unique as the base interest rate is set to 70% of the 1-month SIBOR (Singapore Interbank Offer Rate), which changes daily–making rates slightly more variable than with other accounts. As a baseline, the effective base rate tends to be around 1.00% p.a., more or less, which is by far the highest available as per market standards.

Providing consumers heavy incentives to make large deposits into their accounts

Standard Chartered e$aver / Standard Chartered Bank Singapore

The Standard Chartered e$aver Savings Account is currently offering a promotion that significantly boosts its value by providing consumers heavy incentives to make large deposits into their accounts, as any incremental increases in their balance from month-to-month will earn 1.70% p.a. These funds must be credited to outside source, rather than transferred within the Standard Chartered banking system, and this bonus applies to the increase only and not to the entire balance.

Good for new to workforce adult with minimal saving.

DBS eMySavings Account / DBS Bank

The interest is quite low on this card as compared with other saving plan. It deducts 2 dollars per month on your account balance if it is lower than $500. The interest rate is minimal and there are no incentive to save each month. Super good account as they do not need initial deposit to open the account. Good for new to workforce adult that have not much saving.

Free Identity Theft Solutions to help in the event of stolen identity

Citibank Basic Banking Account / Citibank Singapore

As people’s lives grow more digital, it has only served to make it easier for hackers and cybercriminals to access more and more personal information and identity. They can open utility accounts, get a cell phone, or apply for a credit card, all using your name. Citi offers a free Identity Theft Solutions that can help you in the event that your identity is ever stolen. The service comes free with your Citibank Basic Banking Checking Account. Dealing with identity theft can be a massive pain, but Citi’s expert team can make it a little bit easier.

Gain great benefits while remitting money abroad

DBS Multi-Currency Account / DBS Bank

For fellow expats working in Singapore, this current promotion is great for those who need to remit USD overseas. This is where good planning is necessary. You don’t only benefit from exchanging money at your desired rate, but earn even more at the same time with the 2.5% p.a. interest. Plus, when you do transfer after the 4 months, you’ll get to enjoy same-day transfers at S$0 when doing so online with DBS Remit!