Forum
Last updated: 

How do I ascertain what Merchant Category Code (MCC) the merchant I want to transact with my Citi Rewards Card falls under?

Also what is the maximum amount of rewards that I can earn on 10X Rewards merchants/transactions on my Citi Rewards Card?

User comments

• user image

No Name

Generally, a Merchant Category Code (MCC) is a four digit number assigned to a merchant/business by the merchant’s acquiring bank. The acquiring bank usually provides the credit card payment facilities used by the merchant and it determines and applies with respect to the account, the MCC which in its view best describes the merchant activity. Citibank does not determine the merchant’s MCC. You may want to check with the merchant on the MCC they are assigned to. Eligible cardholders will earn 10X Points for every S$1 charged (every S$1 charged = 10 Points) in respect of an S$1 charge at a 10X Points Eligible Transaction, up to a cap of 10,000 Points per statement month. Points are calculated based on the amount of each 10X Points Eligible Transaction, rounded down to the nearest Point. After the cap of 10,000 Points per statement month is reached, continue to earn 1X Reward for every S$1 charged. There is no cap on 1X Reward that an eligible cardholder can earn.

2019.08.01 5:22

Please leave your knowledge and opinion!

Recommending Reviews

Poor Customer Service

I am quite very disappointed with this card as I have never received the vouchers for all the points I have accumulated so far. I have on several occasions made complaints via the phone and even in person, but all to no avail. I would not recommend this card to anyone for this reason, i have to say unfortunately.

Citi Rewards Card / Citibank Singapore

10X Rewards points on shopping all year long, either online, offline or overseas

My mother has been using this Citibank rewards card for many years and says what she loves about it is the 10X Rewards points on her shopping all year long, either it be online, offline or overseas. It simple makes her shopping more rewarding. Plus Citibank has an amazing range of merchandise for her to redeem using her rewards points, her favourite being to use her reward points to get Takashimaya vouchers which has no expire date to it too.

Prompt and hassle free in annual fee waiver and late payment finance charges

Citibank has generally been very prompt and hassle free in waiving annual fee and also late payment finance charges. Additionally it is the best in the market right now when paired with Apple Pay to give 20x Citi Dollars, with no cap, and 10x Citi Dollars on a good range of stuff. This is my number one card of choice right now, and if you have an iPhone, I highly recommend adding this card into your Apple wallet right now.

Bonus points are capped at $12,000 worth of spending per year

I hate to cast a dark shadow on this card but the only downside i notice is that bonus points are capped at $12,000 worth of spending per year, while points across all Citi cards don't pool, but please let that not be a reason to avoid the card as the benefits greatly outweigh the costs and I strongly recommend this card if you want to gain miles at an unbelievable speed.

I am yet to receive the vouchers for all the points accumulated so far

I really regret that I had chosen this card in the first place as it is not what I bargained for. I have actually never received the so-called vouchers for all the points I accumulated so far, even after I have raised the issue several times over the phone and even in person. Sadly all my efforts have been to no avail. This is bye-bye for me and any Citibank credit cards again.

Recommending Forums

I am a foreign national in Singapore, do I choose a CITI Reward Card and why?

Citi Rewards Card

What are the type of transactions that are eligible for 10X Rewards with the Citi Rewards Card?

Citi Rewards Card

Related Forums

What are thee companies that offer monthly investment plans and who are the individuals who should get these plans?

WHat is the best way to invest my money on?

What is the cheapest sim only plan in Singapore that provides data, calls and SMS?

WHat is the cheapest unlimited mobile data plan in Singapore?

I'm looking for an unlimited mobile data plan that is cheap and reliable. I already have one which offers me Unlimited data and unlimited call and SMS but I'm currently on a budget and I don;t really call or send SMS so I'm looking for a low priced but reliable unlimited mobile data plan with adequate speed.

What are investments in Singapore that would provide guaranteed principal and returns?

I'm investing on a farm abroad by using my credit card.I got scammed

Related Reviews

Ease of use to accumulate on miles

The American Express Krisflyer Credit Card has an attractive sign up bonus and it is easy to use to accumulate on miles as no conversion into KF account is required, and monthly auto “sweeping” of miles help save in the conversion fee. I also have had good experiences with their customer care service as the call center service is absolutely awesome.

American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card / American Express International

40,000 Membership Rewards points to refer a friends to the card

I like the idea that I can receive 40,000 Membership Rewards points when I get to successfully refer any of my friends to the card. Even more so as my friends can also receive 40,000 Membership Rewards points upon spend of S$5,000 in the first 3 months of their Card Membership. I think that is pretty much a win-win situation.

American Express Platinum Card / American Express International

Fantastic Rewards

A 5% cash rebate on fuel purchases and a 16% instant discount is a great deal for me I must say, the HSBC VISA Platinum Credit Card indeed makes driving more fun for me as i always look forward to the 16% instant discount plus 5% cash rebate on all fuel spend at Caltex and Shell stations

HSBC VISA Platinum Credit Card

Poor Customer Service

I am quite very disappointed with this card as I have never received the vouchers for all the points I have accumulated so far. I have on several occasions made complaints via the phone and even in person, but all to no avail. I would not recommend this card to anyone for this reason, i have to say unfortunately.

American Express Personal Card membership rewards points do not expire

First of all, unlike other loyalty programmes, the American Express Personal Card membership rewards points do not expire. Furthermore, with no restriction on the number of points you can stand to accumulate, you just need to choose the reward you want and you'll have time to get it, pretty much the skies can be your limit as you can use the points the way you want from redeeming shopping, travel and entertainment rewards to offsetting purchases made on your Card.

American Express Personal Card / American Express International

When I apply via MyInfoget I get to use my card instantly

So it is really convenient that I can get and use my card instantly when I apply via MyInfo. And the cards instant digital card that can be used for mobile wallets, online and mobile app purchases. Now aside from the same day physical credit card issuance for online applications you also get S$50 cash rebate upon approval with no minimum spend required. However that is only for new OCBC Credit Card applications.

OCBC Robinsons Group Credit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation