Will my bank account closed if it does not have enough balance?

During my heart surgery last month, the money I saved was only enough for all the hospital expenses. I used my card and did not noticed that it passed below my maintaining balance. I am scared that it my debit card will be automatically closed by the bank since it was almost zero.I tried notifying the bank about it but they are not responding.

Confused About Financial Products?

You can chat directly and receive the best offers from the experts.

• user image

No Name

Your debit card will not close just because of low balance. It was actually possible for some banks to overdraw but of course, there will be an interest. But if it was not like that, you just cannot withdraw anymore money to it. In some banks, if the maintaining balance became lower, they will deduct a penalty when money has been deposited.

2020.03.24 15:44

Please leave your knowledge and opinion!

Related Forums

My grandfather are being treated at home

My bank fails. What should I do?

What age can someone open a debit card.

Using the companies Debit card.

What if I get fraud with the bank while I'm away from Singapore.

Am I required to have a debit card?

Related Reviews

The best high interest account in the market!

UOB One Account / United Overseas Bank

This is perhaps the most competitive salary crediting account that earns sizeable interest rate. Only low point is that you need to hit the minimum spent of $500 a month on debit or credit card and must pair up with one/yolo/lady’s card. Best high interest account in the market! Reliable and efficient travel insurance claim, highly recommendable and easy to claim. Your one stop solution for all travel insurance needs.

Awesome banking products with preferential savings rates and lifestyle perks for the elderly

Maybank Passion Plus Programme / Maybank Singapore

Maybank Singapore goes the extra mile with this one to targets the elderly in new integrated banking package with access to products such as endowment and retirement plans. Maybank Singapore’s integrated package encompassing banking products with preferential savings rates and lifestyle perks for customers aged 50 and above as part of its efforts to help them grow their retirement funds is simple genius

innovatively designed to reward you more as you increase your savings with them

Citibank Step-Up Account / Citibank Singapore

Up Account allows for a base interest which is the basic interest that you will earn, just like with your normal savings account.This account will give you a base rate of 0.01% p.a. Step up interest is a unique component in addition to your base interest. This is innovatively designed to reward you more as you increase your savings with them

I use CIMB FastSaver to deposit savings for my parents

CIMB FastSaver Account / CIMB Bank Berhad Singapore Branch

This is a straightforward bank account which makes saving simple. As it does not come with the multiple criteria to earn a higher interest, the rate is lower compared to local banks, but up to 1.8% p.a. and there is no fall below fee involved. I use CIMB FastSaver to deposit savings for my parents and overall customer service is great since not many people use this bank.

The first S$50,000 balance earns at 0.1875% p.a. interest

Maybank Passbook Savings Account / Maybank Singapore

Maybank Passbook Savings Account is remarkably simple in terms of its interest rates structure, but has a few unique features when considering eligibility. To begin with, savings earn interest according to tiers within the balance. In other words, the first S$50,000 of a balance earns at 0.1875% p.a. interest, and any remaining balance beyond S$50,000 earns 0.25% p.a. In terms of eligibility, that may be a bit odd.

A current account with a chequebook and a 0.8% interest rate

CIMB StarSaver (Savings) Account / CIMB Bank Berhad Singapore Branch

This is a current account with chequebook and a 0.8% for the interest. If you don’t require a chequebook, you can consider opening the fastsaver instead which pays 1%. This combined checking and savings account not only allows you to enjoy one of the highest interest rates at 0.8% p.a. but you will also receive unlimited free cheque books and free withdrawals ASEAN-wide.

Confused About Financial Products?

You can chat directly and receive the best offers from the experts.