Forum
Last updated: 

Why would I be billed for an overseas transaction by a merchant and on receiving my statement notice that I am being billed more than the agreed amount?

I was overseas and the merchant agreed to charge me $1200 in local Singapore currency but on receiving my statement I noticed that I am being billed more than the agreed SGD$1200. Why is that the case please?

User comments

• user image

No Name

The answer to your question may lie in the fact that certain overseas merchants or websites may list products and services in Singapore dollars or offer to convert your foreign currency transactions into Singapore dollars, the latter being called dynamic currency conversion. The exchange rates used to convert these transactions into local currency are determined by the merchants and their payment processors. Customers are encouraged to check that the exchange rate offered is reasonable prior to performing the transaction. The difference between the amount listed by merchant and the actual amount billed in your statement is due to an international transaction fee which is levied on all SGD transactions made using Visa or MasterCard and processed outside Singapore.

2019.08.01 6:11

Please leave your knowledge and opinion!

Recommending Forums

What is the exchange rate used to convert my foreign currency transactions to local currency if I use my card when I am overseas?

UOB Preferred Platinum VISA Card

Can I combine the miles earned from different UOB credit cards for conversion?

UOB Preferred Platinum VISA Card

Related Forums

What is the best unlimited mobile data plan in Singapore?

How do I notify my landline provider my change of address?

Is it true that foreigners would be subjected to aggregate loan caps?

What are the characteristics of a bond?

Why should I invest my money in Singapore?

What are thee companies that offer monthly investment plans and who are the individuals who should get these plans?

Related Reviews

Zero Travel Related Online Merchants

The Citi SMRT card is a pretty decent card for spending but they unfortunately exclude travel related online merchants. This to me is the downside of the card and may be a reason to get another card for travel websites.

Citi Prestige Card / Citibank Singapore

Looking to maximize on the number of priority pass visits and other privileges

If you are like me an HSBC Premier client and also a frequent traveller that can maximize the number of priority pass visits, limo and meet-and-assist services as well as your supplementary cardholders too, then this is the card for you. The reduced general mile earn rate is worth the trade-off for the unlimited priority pass memberships, as well as the high number of limo and meet-and-assist services that you can use.

HSBC VISA Infinite Credit Card / HSBC Bank Singapore

You get 10X points when you shop at retails for babies and children's wear

I would recommend the card for use by people who frequently purchase clothing and electronics and also in particular from known on online merchants like AliExpress, Amazon, Lazada, Shopee and Taobao.You get 10X points when you shop at retails for babies and children's wear, clothes, bags and shoes, department stores, electronics and gadgets; which cover almost all retails. Also the OCBC Reward is a $10 rebate for 3600 points which I think is fare.

OCBC Titanium Rewards Credit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

Fee waivers and No transfe fees

The AMEX Express Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS Credit Card gives a First Year Fee Waiver for you to enjoy and also for your supplementary card members. In addition there are no transfer fees and all the KrisFlyer miles you can earn are directly transferred automatically to your KrisFlyer account with no transfer fee. I would recommend this card for these few reasons which could really make the difference.

American Express Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS Credit Card / American Express International

Spa privileges that come with card membership

I find it very pleasant and rewarding the Platinum Wellness offerings of the AMEX Express Platinum Credit Card as I get to rest and replenish after a hard week at work. I treat myself to spa privileges that come with my Card Membership with spa vouchers from Adeva Spa, Spa Rael and The Ultimate. I do this one’s a week and enjoy up to 40% off à la carte spa services at Adeva Spa, Spa Rael and The Ultimate. Simply relaxing and feels good to be pampered.

American Express Platinum Credit Card / American Express International

Ease of use to accumulate on miles

The American Express Krisflyer Credit Card has an attractive sign up bonus and it is easy to use to accumulate on miles as no conversion into KF account is required, and monthly auto “sweeping” of miles help save in the conversion fee. I also have had good experiences with their customer care service as the call center service is absolutely awesome.

American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card / American Express International