Forum
Last updated: 

Why would I be billed for an overseas transaction by a merchant and on receiving my statement notice that I am being billed more than the agreed amount?

I was overseas and the merchant agreed to charge me $1200 in local Singapore currency but on receiving my statement I noticed that I am being billed more than the agreed SGD$1200. Why is that the case please?

User comments

• user image

No Name

The answer to your question may lie in the fact that certain overseas merchants or websites may list products and services in Singapore dollars or offer to convert your foreign currency transactions into Singapore dollars, the latter being called dynamic currency conversion. The exchange rates used to convert these transactions into local currency are determined by the merchants and their payment processors. Customers are encouraged to check that the exchange rate offered is reasonable prior to performing the transaction. The difference between the amount listed by merchant and the actual amount billed in your statement is due to an international transaction fee which is levied on all SGD transactions made using Visa or MasterCard and processed outside Singapore.

2019.08.01 6:11

Please leave your knowledge and opinion!

Recommending Forums

What is the exchange rate used to convert my foreign currency transactions to local currency if I use my card when I am overseas?

UOB Preferred Platinum VISA Card

Can I combine the miles earned from different UOB credit cards for conversion?

UOB Preferred Platinum VISA Card

Related Forums

What exactly does liquidation do for me and why would I ever consider?

What skills should I have to be a good investor?

WHat is the best way to invest my money on?

Which University Majors in Singapore has the highest return on Investments?

Why did the MOM decide to change the money lending laws for foreigners?

How do U apply for a telephone line in Singapore?

Related Reviews

Earn rebates in the form of cash rebates and LinkPoints by shopping at NTUC

Even as the OCBC Plus! Visa is not a cashback card, thus there is no cap, or "maximum" cash back, you get to still earn rebates in the form of cash rebates and LinkPoints by shopping at NTUC. However do note that there is a minimum spend of $500 in places outside NTUC before the full range of rebates and LinkPoints can be unlocked.

OCBC Plus! VISA Credit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

Customer care service at top notch

This is my first credit card and I was pleased with the process as the application was absolutely stress free and smooth with customer care service at top notch. I actually felt taken care of and it appeared I could rely on customer care service for virtually any issue. Plus they have a simple tracking system of cashback rewards, with a good App and web UI/UX.

American Express True Cashback Card / American Express International

40,000 Membership Rewards points to refer a friends to the card

I like the idea that I can receive 40,000 Membership Rewards points when I get to successfully refer any of my friends to the card. Even more so as my friends can also receive 40,000 Membership Rewards points upon spend of S$5,000 in the first 3 months of their Card Membership. I think that is pretty much a win-win situation.

American Express Platinum Card / American Express International

Protection of up to 90 days for online purchases

The delivered on the promise of purchase Protection of up to 90 days when ensured reimbursement on an eligible online purchases I made with my Amex Express Gold Card. Irrespective where you buy online or shopping at the local supermarket, their Purchase Protection offers repair, replacement or reimbursement on eligible purchases made with the Card, that has been damaged or stolen within 90 days of purchase.

American Express Gold Card / American Express International

OCBC Frank Card offers young adults a great, no-fee way to earn cashback from social and online spend

OCBC Frank Card stands out for its low minimum spend requirement and annual fee waiver however, it’s not a great match for consumers seeking everyday cashback. Online spend on utilities, recurring bills, and school and hospital payments are all not eligible for rebate. Dining, groceries, and other categories are also not rewarded. Ultimately, OCBC Frank Card offers young adults a great, no-fee way to earn cashback from social and online spend. OCBC Frank Card is definitely worth consideration.

FRANK Credit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

Complimentary Night Stay a Success

Very impressed by the complimentary night stay I got after I made bookings for a five nights stay at a resort I spent my birthday at in Malaysia. Even more pleasing was the complimentary golf games at a high quality golf courses in Malaysia. As a matter of fact, I had as much as six complementary golf games.

Citi Cash Back Visa Card / Citibank Singapore