Forum
Last updated: 

Can somebody tell me which is better for me, a savings account or a current account?

I am single and relocating to Singapore for work. I would like to know which between a savings account and a current account would be the best bet for me taking into consideration the interest rate, culture etc.

User comments

• user image

No Name

There is a surplus of banks in Singapore that can provide banking services for a foreign resident. However choosing a banking option will largely depend on your personal assets, exact needs, duration of stay and so on. For everyday financial paraphernalia like receiving salary, paying rent, or cash withdrawal, a current account would be amply. However, though there exist no limit on cash imports or transactions from overseas, you should not deposit large sums in current accounts as only bank deposits of up to 50,000 SGD are covered by Singapore’s deposit insurance scheme. Subsequently, all account deposits made in foreign currency inclusive of offshore accounts are exempted from insurance in any form. On a lighter note, interest rates are low on both current and savings accounts. Irrespective, I would like to advice that before moving to Singapore you should talk to your independent advisor or bank back home.

2019.08.01 18:0

Please leave your knowledge and opinion!

Related Forums

Does my money also liquidate along with the bank?

If I was to file for bankruptcy would that mean for my bank account that is currently linked to all my billing accounts?

The atm is not functioning well

How do I transfer $100,000 from Canada to Singapore?

What account is perfect for saving children fees aside from my regular savings account?

Wha are the ways to reduce my expenses without compromising on my lifestyle?

Related Reviews

Generally FWD offers decent coverage for a safe travel destination

I must say that the FWD Travel Insurance Premium is very easy to apply and also avails competitive rates as well. Generally FWD offers decent coverage for a safe travel destination however if you’re going somewhere with a higher risk involved like a ski trip for instance, you might want to consider specialized plans. But generally, the application process and ease of getting a quote upfront is great with competitive prices too.

FWD Travel Insurance Premium / FWD Singapore

Just $30 for a week’s cover in Asia,and $44 for a week's cover in Europe and US.

Even as SOMPO is not cheap generally, they still try to remain competitive promotions like the generous 40% off, which makes the basic Sompo Travel Joy Vital plans affordable with just $30 for a week’s cover in Asia, and about $44 for a week in Europe and US. However, even with 40% off, be prepared to pay a premium for their GO Japan! Plan. It’ll still set you back close to $53 for a week’s coverage.

SOMPO TravelJoy Elite / Sompo Insurance Singapore

Greater protection against baggage, rip delays and baggage loss

Within Asia, HL Assurance is the cheapest of the three plans for 1-week trips, but falls behind the other two for 2-week trips. HL Assurance's Enhanced Plan, like the Basic Plan, places more emphasis on travel inconvenience, with more coverage in this area than FWD and Etiqa. Comparatively speaking, FWD and Etiqa both provide more coverage for medical expenses, trip cancellation and personal accident/death. So if you want greater protection against disruptions like baggage and trip delays and baggage loss, HL Assurance's Enhanced Plan is a better choice.

HLAssurance Annual Unlimited / HL Assurance

Enjoy insurance cover for children provided for free in case the whole family is travelling together

ERGO travel insurance plans secure and beautiful moments during your trip. Now aside from the benefits included in your policy, insured individuals can also enjoy insurance cover for children provided for free in case the whole family is travelling together, free emergency repatriation to country of residence when insured person selects a minimum of four risks to be covered in the policy and can enjoy helicopter or airplane use in case of emergencies.

ERGO TravelProtect Essential / ERGO Insurance

Claims resulting from pre-existing medical conditions while overseas

In case you were not aware, most travel insurers do not cover claims resulting from pre-existing medical conditions while you are overseas, but thankfully Tiq Travel Insurance does so you can go right ahead and opt for one of their Pre-Ex plans to adequately cover yourself on your travels.Some common examples of pre-existing medical conditions are Diabetes, Stroke, Asthma, Cancer and Epilepsy

Tiq Travel Insurance / Etiqa Insurance

Get $300 limit on delays, $300 for missed connections and another $500 for diversions

The FWD policy wording doesn’t mention any sporting exclusions, with the exception of competitive sports and hiking/trekking above 3,000m. Considering that most outdoor activities are covered, their lowest tier plan (Premium) is very good value for money. For the basic plan, FWD Premium has quite a high trip cancellation claim limit of $7,500 which applies for haze-related cancellation or infectious diseases like Zika and dengue too. Where FWD loses out is in the below-average travel inconvenience benefits. For example, for travel delays, you get $300 limit on delays, another $300 for missed connections and another $500 for “diversions”. It is very hard to claim the full benefit.

FWD Travel Insurance First / FWD Singapore