Forum
Last updated: 

The Singaporean government’s taxation agency proposing to remove goods and services tax (GST) from cryptocurrency transactions, what does the average bitcoin user stand to gain?

I missed the last bitcoin rush and profiting so I am determined not to miss any more opportunities to make money with bitcoins. Recently the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS) published e-Tax draft guide for treatment on what it calls the Digital Payment Tokens, which seeks to exempt any entity dealing with such digital assets from GST liabilities. Does it mean all transactions are tax free across board?

User comments

• user image

No Name

Essentially, if the draft guide passes into legislation, starting from Jan. 1, 2020, it is expected that the some changes will take effect to enhance the dynamics of digital payment tokens. To start with, the use of digital payment tokens as payment for goods or services will not give rise to a supply of those tokens as opposed to now when a barter trade results in two separate supplies, a taxable supply of the tokens and a supply of the goods or services. Being that supply of digital payment tokens is currently seen as a taxable supply of services. In any case, the exchange of digital payment tokens for fiat currency or other digital payment tokens will be exempt from GST. So within this fine lines may lie the opportunity to make money trading and transacting with digital payment tokens like Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Dash, Monero, Ripple and Zcash. But I encourage you to do more research please.

2019.08.01 18:0

Please leave your knowledge and opinion!

Related Forums

How should I invest on my medical supplements using a credit card?

What is the cheapest sim only plan in Singapore that provides data, calls and SMS?

How do I buy and sell my bonds?

What are the different SmartPhone devices that I need to start a business using my smartphone?

What will happen if a foreigner borrows money from unlicensed money lenders?

Why should I invest my money in Singapore?

Related Reviews

I can enjoy Interest rates starting from 5.80% p.a.

I love that I can enjoy Interest rates starting from 5.80% p.a. (EIR 11.38% p.a.) on their 12-month instalment plan which allows for fixed monthly repayments.The monthly repayment for your Cash-on-Instalments is fixed, allowing you to manage your finances with ease of mind. That works perfect for me as it helps me to be more organized and I give them thumbs up.

NTUC Plus! Visa Credit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

Fantastic Rewards

A 5% cash rebate on fuel purchases and a 16% instant discount is a great deal for me I must say, the HSBC VISA Platinum Credit Card indeed makes driving more fun for me as i always look forward to the 16% instant discount plus 5% cash rebate on all fuel spend at Caltex and Shell stations

HSBC VISA Platinum Credit Card

Earnings of 1.3 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 spent locally

This card offers a few thrills if you are one for accumulating miles as you can earn 1.3 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 equivalent in foreign currency spent overseas on eligible purchases up to S$3,800 each month. On such purchases above S$3,800 each month, you can earn 2 KrisFlyer miles. Furthermore the card allows earnings of 1.3 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 spent locally in Singapore dollars on eligible purchases up to S$3,800 each month. On such purchases above S$3,800 each month, earnings are 1.4 KrisFlyer miles. Highly recommended for those who seek to accumulate miles.

American Express Singapore Airlines PPS Club Credit Card / American Express International

5% year-round cash rebates on dining, groceries, petrol and more

For me nothing beats the 5% year-round cash rebates on dining, groceries, petrol and transport (that is taxis, ride hailing, trains and buses inclusive), locally and overseas when you spend minimum S$600 per month. And the cash rebate is capped at S$150 per month. So if you don’t drive, not to worry as you can enjoy 5% cash rebate for your transportation needs, be it a taxi ride, a booking made via ride hailing apps, or trains/buses.

HSBC Premier MasterCard / HSBC Bank Singapore

Earn up to 1% rebate on your purchase

If you target to spend on major event tickets and high price items with the plan to split by instalment then this card is for you. However I notice that if you have an existing OCBC saving account, it makes bill payments much more seamless. And aside from being able to split payment into monthly instalments interest free, you can earn up to 1% rebate on your purchase. Only few cards in the market that allow auto convert spending into interest free instalment and still be entitled to 0.5% or 1% cash rebate.

OCBC Cashflo Credit Card / Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation

Spa privileges that come with card membership

I find it very pleasant and rewarding the Platinum Wellness offerings of the AMEX Express Platinum Credit Card as I get to rest and replenish after a hard week at work. I treat myself to spa privileges that come with my Card Membership with spa vouchers from Adeva Spa, Spa Rael and The Ultimate. I do this one’s a week and enjoy up to 40% off à la carte spa services at Adeva Spa, Spa Rael and The Ultimate. Simply relaxing and feels good to be pampered.

American Express Platinum Credit Card / American Express International