Forum
Last updated: 

Should I invest my money myself or should I have a fund manager do it and why?

I have roughly $20,000 to invest, I am not completely new to investing as I have invested small funds previously in mutual funds. I am very excited about the possibility of getting this right but I am equally very aware of the risk of getting it wrong.

User comments

• user image

No Name

It depends on your goal at this time but if you are looking to play safe and make regular returns then I would recommend an ETF, especially one that tracks a market index such as S&P 500. This way you don’t get to pay fees to fund managers. Alternatively, if you seek bigger action and high risk investments, in most cases you may not understand these so it may be best to have a fund’s manager to invest on your behalf. But anyway keep in mind that all active trading may come with risks that a diversified index portfolio like an ETF do not bear.

2019.08.01 18:0

Please leave your knowledge and opinion!

Related Forums

What skills should I have to be a good investor?

What are the characteristics of a bond?

What are investments in Singapore that would provide guaranteed principal and returns?

Are there free sim plans in Singapore?

WHat is the best way to invest my money on?

What is HSBC's personal loan in brief?

HSBC Personal Loan

Related Reviews

Customer care service at top notch

This is my first credit card and I was pleased with the process as the application was absolutely stress free and smooth with customer care service at top notch. I actually felt taken care of and it appeared I could rely on customer care service for virtually any issue. Plus they have a simple tracking system of cashback rewards, with a good App and web UI/UX.

American Express True Cashback Card / American Express International

Fee waivers and No transfe fees

The AMEX Express Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS Credit Card gives a First Year Fee Waiver for you to enjoy and also for your supplementary card members. In addition there are no transfer fees and all the KrisFlyer miles you can earn are directly transferred automatically to your KrisFlyer account with no transfer fee. I would recommend this card for these few reasons which could really make the difference.

American Express Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS Credit Card / American Express International

American Express Personal Card membership rewards points do not expire

First of all, unlike other loyalty programmes, the American Express Personal Card membership rewards points do not expire. Furthermore, with no restriction on the number of points you can stand to accumulate, you just need to choose the reward you want and you'll have time to get it, pretty much the skies can be your limit as you can use the points the way you want from redeeming shopping, travel and entertainment rewards to offsetting purchases made on your Card.

American Express Personal Card / American Express International

Family Package Rewards

My family had a really fun time with the 10% off Siam Adventure Club Family Package Booking which came with breakfast for 2 adults and up to 2 kids with a Kids room setup in room and full access to kids activities. We even enjoyed daily evening drinks for whole family on selected menu from 5pm to 6pm.

HSBC VISA Platinum Credit Card / HSBC Bank Singapore

40,000 Membership Rewards points to refer a friends to the card

I like the idea that I can receive 40,000 Membership Rewards points when I get to successfully refer any of my friends to the card. Even more so as my friends can also receive 40,000 Membership Rewards points upon spend of S$5,000 in the first 3 months of their Card Membership. I think that is pretty much a win-win situation.

American Express Platinum Card / American Express International

Pleasant Rewards

In my opinion, this card is one of the best cards in the market especially as there are no expiry date to miles earned and an amazing 2 VIP airport lounge access. I love the fact that the card can be used for major big ticket items and to clock mileage. Redemption can be done easily without hassle and customer service staff are very helpful

Citi PremierMiles Visa Card / Citibank Singapore